Who we are
The Provincial Outreach Program for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (POPFASD) is funded by the British Columbia Ministry of Education and has been in existence since 2006. We are located in Prince George, British Columbia and hosted by School District No. 57. A multi-district Steering Committee offers advice, direction and feedback. The mandate of our program is to increase educators’ capacity to meet the learning needs of students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
We share current research, ideas, strategies, training and resources in order to build capacity in school districts for students with FASD and their teachers. We also liaise with designated POPFASD District Partners from each district; this allows us to communicate through one key individual from each district regarding in-service and support need. We are a team of 3.2 teachers, a 1.0 Technical Analyst, and a 0.5 Office Assistant.
What we do
- Provide access to resources via the website
- Deliver online eLearning videos
- Facilitate and present workshops as requested
- Facilitate and present online FASD training
- Provide supports and resources for District Partners
- Liaise with other Ministries
- Synthesize and share current FASD research
- Provide consultation and support to teachers
- Consult and liaise with the experts in the field of FASD
- Facilitate information sharing
- Provide support and training for educators of students living with FASD
- Build district capacity to serve students in their home school districts by working with a District Partner
- Provide online access to information, eLearning videos, resources and training
- Synthesize and share current research and successful practices to support students with FASD
- Share knowledge and practice
- Liaise with school districts, the Ministry of Children and Family Development, the Ministry of Health, and our multi-district Steering Committee
- Program Lead, Teacher Consultant
- 250-564-6574 (local 2024)
This is Meredith's sixth year as a POPFASD teacher consultant, and she has been teaching since 1989. She has her Masters in Special Education from UNBC. Meredith and her husband enjoy their house on a lake, their garden, and visiting their daughters and sons-in-law who live in Toronto and Masset, B.C..
- Teacher Consultant
- 250-564-6574 (local 2023)
Stacey has been teaching since 2008 in Prince George. He has a Bachelors of Education from the University of Alberta and a Masters of Education in Leadership and Administration. As an educator he has had a variety of roles (high school and middle school Resource Teacher, intermediate classroom teacher, and sessional instructor for VIU and UNBC) which provide valuable insight and connections to the material and concepts that are shared.
- Teacher Consultant
- 250-564-6574 (local 2019)
Hello, my name is Trina Chivilo. I am a Classroom Teacher with 12 years of experience in Kindergarten and Music Education at a community school called Harwin Elementary. I feel deep gratitude for the colleagues, students, and family care-givers who supported my growth as a teacher and welcomed me into the fold. I believe that it “takes a community to raise a teacher” and I humbly endeavor to share what I know and learn about FASD with a great new team in a new provincial community. I was honoured with a national research prize last year (Canadian Educational Researchers' Association) for advancing teacher inquiry. I earned a BA in First Nation Studies (minor Anthropology) and a MEd in Curricular Design (focus Performative Inquiry). I sometimes teach and mentor for SFU, UNBC, and my school district. I am Metis. I love hard questions, writing songs, playing stringed instruments, and making people laugh.
- Technical Lead
- 250-564-6574 (local 2020)
Matt has been in IT since 2001. He joined the School District in 2006 and has been with POPFASD since 2011. He is a certified Linux engineer through the Linux Foundation.
- Technical Analyst
- 250-564-6574 (local 2071)
James has returned to his hometown of Prince George after many years of wandering Canada, the US, and Japan. He has a degree in Computer Information Technology from Indian River State College in Florida. He enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, skiing, and playing card games, board games, video games, etc. He's excited to start a career in IT and at School District 57.
- Program Office Assistant (0.5)
- 250-564-6574 (local 2015)
Leanne is excited for this exciting opportunity with the POPFASD program. She has 8 years of clerical and office administrative experience. She enjoys the simple things in life such as her family, puzzles and good food.